See Jacinta, along with other local Winston-Salem artists, share in the #Jointhetable2016 Arts Council of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County Kickoff in this video...!
As a poet and lover of all things creative, Jacinta V. White merges her perspective as an artist, professional and community advocate for change.
Jacinta has her BA in Speech Communications from UNC at Greensboro. After
receiving her MPA in Nonprofit Management from Georgia State University, she
decided to redirect her love for art and community by starting The Word Project and
serving as a consultant. Known throughout the community as one who brings
individuals (and groups) and often diverse thinking to the "art table," Jacinta is sought
out to work with others on better understanding the role and value of arts in our lives for healing and to build community.
A NC Arts Council Teaching Artist, Jacinta has experience as a Certified Corporate Trainer with Forsyth Tech Community College, providing leadership and soft skills trainings for companies such as Hanesbrands, the City of Winston-Salem, Hospice, and the Children’s Museum/SciWorks. She also led the development of its pilot program Emerging Leaders Lab for millennial leaders. Prior to joining Forsyth Tech, Jacinta served as the Program Director for Leadership Winston-Salem's 9-month Flagship Program, and Jacinta now has her own company (in addition to The Word Project) -- Deeper Dive Consulting!
She has studied Poetry Therapy with Dr. Sherry Reiter of the Creative Righting Center; and has studied poetry with the likes of Terrance Hayes, Stuart Dischell, Cecilia Woloch, and Morri Creech. A teacher of "poetry as healer," Jacinta has worked with nearly 50 organizations (see list here) using poetry as a tool for healing!
Jacinta's creative work includes being the publisher and editor-in-chief of the international online quarterly Snapdragon: A Journal of Art & Healing. And, Jacinta is widely published. Her work includes poetry in THIS Magazine (2015) Blackberry: a magazine (2015), New Verse News (2014), Typoetic.us (2014), Prime Number Magazine (2014), What Matters Anthology (Jacar Press, 2013), Press 53 Open Awards Anthology (2008) as its first prize winner. Her chapbook, broken ritual was published by Finishing Line Press (2012), and she's a contributor to My Soul to His Spirit: Soulful Writings of African American Daughters to Their Fathers (SoulDictates, 2005), and editor of Walking With God (Duncan & Duncan, 1996).
Jacinta's latest collection of poems. Resurrecting the Bones: Born from a Journey through African American Churches & Cemeteries of the Rural South (Press 53), will be published Sept. 2019. Find out more about that here!
- Core Strengths Accountability Facilitator, PSP, 2016
- DiSC Personality Assessment Facilitator, Success Seminars Institute, 2015
- DDI Facilitator, Development Dimensions International, 2015
- TimeSlips Storytelling Facilitator, Center for Creative Aging—NC, 2010
- Alzheimer’s Poetry Project Facilitator, Alzheimer’s Poetry Project, 2009
Memberships, Grants, & Awards:
- NC Arts Council Teaching Artist, present
- Member, NC Writers' Network, present
- Member, NC Poetry Society, present
- Recipient, 100 W Corsicana Residency, TX, 2017
- Recipient, 2016-2017 Duke Energy Regional Grant, supported by The Arts Council of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County, Duke Energy and the N.C. Arts Council, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources
- Recipient, The Palm Beach Poetry Festival African American Fellowship, 2017
- Action Learning Team Coach, Leadership Winston-Salem, 2016-2017
- Volunteer Coordinator, One City One Prompt, Transformative Language Arts Network, 2015-2016
- Advisory Board member, Shugart Women's Center, Forsyth Tech Community College, 2014-2016
- Member, Transformative Language Arts Network, 2011-2013
- Grant, The Institute for Poetic Medicine, Juvenile Detention Center Poetry Series, 2011
- Partial scholarship, Transformative Language Arts Conference, Vermont, 2010
- Partial scholarship, National Association of Poetry Therapy, 2009
- First place award winner in poetry, Press 53, 2008
- Grant, Fondue Fund, Greensboro, NC, 2008
- Partial scholarship, Writer’s Abroad Conference, Thailand, 2007
- Fellowship, NC Writers’ Network Spring Conference for Writers, Greensboro, NC, 2007
- Fellowship, Idyllwild Creative Writing Program, Idyllwild, CA, 2004